At Bellevue Law, we believe that any firm is only as good as its staff. We’re enormously proud of our fantastic team, and we think you should get to know them, too!
This week we’re sitting down with Rita Hampton, office manager extraordinaire, to learn a little bit about her background, life experiences, and what makes Bellevue a unique place to work in.
Can you explain what you do in under 20 words?
My job is to keep the day-to-day running of the office smooth and calm, and assist the lawyers where necessary.
What did you do as your first job and what lesson did you learn from it that still rings true today?
My very first job was teaching English as a foreign language in Madrid, and it taught me one very, very important lesson: patience!
Looking back over your career, what’s been your proudest moment?
- It’s hard to isolate one particular thing, but I do relish sorting out difficult situations. Some of my proudest moments have been:
- Presenting financial documents to the board of Paddington Regeneration Partnership.
- Organising a private jet for Ralph Lauren’s CEO.
- Keeping tabs on Derek Jarman’s keys and scripts (he was very ill with HIV at the time).
- I volunteer at Spencer Cricket Club (a South West London cricket club). Looking after a group of 11 boys every weekend in the summer for the Under-14s team always feels like a big achievement!
…and the biggest challenge you’ve faced?
Before I worked at Bellevue Law, I had a few instances of having to present a bad cash flow – that is to say, not the one the employer or client wanted to see. Tempers often flared in those situations. I have been shouted at (‘make it better for me!’), but unfortunately one can’t.
What’s the greatest piece of advice you’ve ever received?
The best advice I have ever been given goes back to when I was 11 and baking a birthday cake. Horror of horrors, it sank in the middle! To fix the problem, my mother and I made an apricot mousse, filled the cake, and called it ‘Rita’s Apricot Dessert’. It was delicious. What my mother said I’ll always take away: ‘a disaster can become a triumph’.
What makes Bellevue Law special?
The firm’s approach to work/life balance is spot on for any stage of family life. Our lawyers are of the highest calibre and can work when and where they want. As a place of work, there are lots of things I like: we have great views, noodles and flowers!
And, finally, Rita: what’s your favourite thing to do outside of work?
I love to cook and keep family and friends happy with great food.