How does Bellevue Law help clients with employment law issues?
Our employment lawyers all have a wealth of experience gained in international firms, while our business model enables us to provide a highly personalised, empathetic and cost-effective service to clients.
We act for both employers and employees, and believe that our experience on both sides of the table equips us to provide more rounded, practical and relevant advice.
"I cannot highly recommend Bellevue Law enough if you ever find yourself in the position to seek employment law advice. Professional, courteous and incredibly competent."
In our recent client survey clients rated us, on average, 9.7/10 when asked how likely they were to recommend us to a friend or colleague.
Our In Confidence initial employment law advice service for employees offers initial advice on options and next steps at a fixed price, when an issue at work first arises.
How does Bellevue Law help employees?
Our team is ranked in the Legal 500 directory 2020 for the quality of our advice to senior executives.
We regularly advise employees on legal issues arising throughout the employment lifecycle from recruitment to exit:
- We represent senior executives and professionals planning moves, including advising on post-termination obligations to current employers.
- We advise on contract negotiations with new employers, including key terms such as remuneration and restrictive covenants. Clients are regularly referred to us by headhunters.
- We advise on issues arising during employment, such as grievances, performance concerns, investigations and disciplinary proceedings, and concerns about remuneration or changes to employees’ roles.
- We have a strong track record of advising and representing senior female professionals on issues arising in respect of pregnancy and maternity leave, flexible working, equal pay and discrimination and harassment.
- We have experience of advising individuals working abroad for UK-based companies on their UK employment law rights.
- We regularly assist clients to negotiate the best outcome on termination of their employment - whether by reason of redundancy or otherwise - and advise on settlement agreements. We have also assisted a number of clients on successful appeals against dismissal.
- While most negotiations end in an agreed settlement, if necessary we can represent clients in bringing Employment Tribunal claims, including for unfair and constructive dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing.
"The empathy, professionalism and kindness you showed me will never be forgotten. Thank you for everything."
Who does Bellevue Law help with employment law issues?
We regularly act for employees in the financial services, technology, property, recruitment, energy and fashion industries. We are also often asked to advise and represent other lawyers in disputes with their firms and senior executives at private equity houses and their portfolio companies.
We advise individuals, including in regulated industries, on investigations and allegations of wrongdoing. Our recent experience includes acting for a Chief Executive in an investigation into alleged financial reporting irregularities and a senior bank employee suspended during an investigation relating to alleged financial misconduct.
We have also advised on “Reverse #MeToo” allegations, where an individual is accused of inappropriate behaviour, and represented former employees accused of misconduct, such as breach of confidentiality or post-termination restrictions, after their exit.
We are often referred work by prior clients who feel that we have given them the right balance of commercial advice and a sympathetic ear at a time that is personally challenging.
"Florence answered my call immediately and gave me sound and calming advice before I had an unexpected meeting about a role change. She was strong and clear helping me through a difficult day. Leigh was then assigned my case who was equally helpful, understanding, reassuring and realistic. The working style of Bellevue was fluid and suited my schedule. I recommend this firm without hesitation."
"It was an extremely stressful time for me and Florence guided me through the process wonderfully- being efficient, honest, practical and supportive. [I really appreciated] the personal and professional approach."
"I have already recommended to several colleagues and friends."
In Confidence: initial employment law advice service
In Confidence is Bellevue Law’s fixed price initial employment law advice service, offering expert support and guidance to employees facing a difficult issue at work.
In Confidence allows clients to benefit from insightful and practical advice based on our team’s years of experience at an early stage.
During your In Confidence discussion, one of our specialist employment lawyers will listen to your concerns, identify key legal, commercial and practical points, and provide an overview of your legal rights and potential claims. Your In Confidence session will provide insight on potential outcomes and practical, actionable advice.
There is no ongoing commitment, and many clients leave their In Confidence session reassured and with practical next steps they can action themselves. If you do need more detailed advice or representation, however, Bellevue Law will remain on hand to support you.
How does Bellevue Law support employers?
Our employment team has a wealth of experience, gained at international law firms, advising major organisations on key employment law issues. Our boutique approach now allows us to offer clients of all sizes a personalised and cost-effective service.
We regularly support our employer clients by:
- Advising on employment status issues, such as whether and how senior individuals should be engaged as employees or on a self-employed basis.
- Preparing contracts including letters of appointment and service agreements for directors, employment contracts for team members, and agreements for contractors and consultants.,
- Advising on employment law issues arising on mergers and acquisitions, including TUPE.
- Reviewing and advising on employment policies and procedures.
- Guiding clients through disciplinary, performance and grievance processes.
- Supporting clients in handling the negotiated exits of individual team members. We have extensive experience of helping clients to navigate complex negotiations on the exits of their most senior executives, including founder directors and shareholders, equity partners and members of senior management.
- Representing clients in enforcement proceedings in respect of alleged breaches of post-termination restrictions and obligations of confidentiality. The firm has extensive litigation experience and, if necessary, is able to represent clients in High Court proceedings to obtain injunctions and damages.
"It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you and we sincerely appreciate all of your guidance and support as we worked through this process."
“Thank you so much for all of your help. You have been really amazing to work with.”
Who instructs Bellevue Law?
Our clients include both long-established and start-up privately owned businesses, technology companies and challengers and private clients. We are also trusted to advise fellow law firms on sensitive employment matters and regularly advise clients based overseas on employment issues arising in their UK operations.
Our recent work includes preparing a suite of complex employment contracts for senior employees of a financial services start up, supporting a client in the technology sector through a major redundancy process and advising several clients on successful negotiated exits of team members ranging from junior employees to longstanding directors.
"I have used other "boutique" city firms whose service and advice does not come close to what I received with Bellevue Law."