We act for both employers and employees in employment negotiations and disputes and offer advice and representation on a wide range of employment issues.
We regularly represent employees in negotiations and proceedings concerning the termination of their employment, advising on issues such as unfair and constructive dismissal, redundancy, discrimination, whistleblowing and the terms of settlement agreements.
We have a particular interest in sex discrimination claims, and are experienced at advising and representing senior female professionals from a range of industries including financial services, the media and the law on discrimination issues.
We also represent executives planning exits or team moves, including advising on post-termination restrictions and reviewing contractual terms during negotiations with new employers.
“Florence answered my call immediately and gave me sound and calming advice before I had an unexpected meeting about a role change. She was strong and clear helping me through a difficult day. Leigh was then assigned my case who was equally helpful, understanding, reassuring and realistic. The working style of Bellevue was fluid and suited my schedule. I recommend this firm without hesitation.”
For employers, we assist with a range of issues including preparing service and employment contracts and consultancy agreements and advising on employment status, best practice employment policies and procedures, disciplinary and grievance issues as well as negotiating terms of departure for senior employees and advising on the enforcement of employees’ post-termination obligations.
Recent matters on which our lawyers have advised include:
- Representing numerous senior executives in the financial services, legal, recruitment, energy, arts, fashion, media and consumer industries in unfair dismissal and sex and age discrimination claims, including in relation to issues arising during pregnancy and maternity leave and on making flexible working applications
- Advising senior employees in the media, legal, consulting, financial services, technology and commodities industries on negotiated exits, including advising on clients’ legal rights and obligations and negotiating terms of departure with employers
- Advising a number of clients on successful appeals against the termination of their employment
- Advising individuals working abroad for UK based companies on their UK employment law rights
- Advising several senior executives in the financial services, property, legal and consulting industries on the proposed terms of contracts with new employers and/or partnership agreements, including financial terms and post-termination restrictions
- Regularly advising senior executives in the financial services, legal and recruitment industries on their rights and obligations on potential departures to establish or join competing businesses
- Advising a former employee on allegations that he had unlawfully retained confidential information on his departure
- Regularly advising employees on the terms and effect of proposed settlement agreements relating to the termination of their employment
- Acting pro bono in a constructive dismissal claim for a client whose co-worker had threatened her with physical violence and for a retail worker whose employer had unfairly terminated her employment
"I very much appreciate your guidance throughout what has been a very long process. Your advice, not only the law but also on tactics, has been invaluable."
- Regularly preparing letters of appointment for non-executive directors, service contracts for executive directors and employment and consulting contracts
- Advising on and drafting employment policies and procedures and staff handbooks
- Regularly advising employers on disciplinary and capability issues and on potential and actual terminations of employment
- Representing the claimant employer in High Court proceedings for injunctive relief and damages arising from a team move to a competitor
- Advising a number of employers and professional partnerships on complex negotiated exits, including those of founder directors and shareholders, equity partners and members of senior management
- Advising on the enforcement of restrictive covenants against departing employees