How does Bellevue Law support employers?
Our employment team is ranked by the Legal 500 2024 for the quality of its advice to employers, and has a wealth of experience, gained at international law firms, advising major organisations on key employment law issues. Our boutique approach now allows us to offer clients of all sizes a personalised and cost-effective service.
"Bellevue Law, particularly active in the tech and fintech sectors, fields a team that according to clients delivers 'all that the Magic Circle does in terms of expertise, judgement, client handling skills'" – Legal 500 2022
We regularly support our employer clients by:
- Advising on employment status issues, such as whether and how senior individuals should be engaged as employees or on a self-employed basis.
- Preparing contracts including letters of appointment and service agreements for directors, employment contracts for team members, and agreements for contractors and consultants.,
- Advising on employment law issues arising on mergers and acquisitions, including TUPE.
- Reviewing and advising on employment policies and procedures.
- Guiding clients through disciplinary, performance and grievance processes.
- Supporting clients in handling the negotiated exits of individual team members. We have extensive experience of helping clients to navigate complex negotiations on the exits of their most senior executives, including founder directors and shareholders, equity partners and members of senior management.
- Representing clients in enforcement proceedings in respect of alleged breaches of post-termination restrictions and obligations of confidentiality. The firm has extensive litigation experience and, if necessary, is able to represent clients in High Court proceedings to obtain injunctions and damages.
"They stand out in a crowded field. Their advice is always clear and accessible, often providing employers with the tactful support they need to overcome difficult disputes in Courts and Tribunals. The team is particularly collaborative, bringing in counsel early to develop a team-based approach."
"I like the experience of big firm expertise and skill, aligned with the approachability and realism for those of us who want that level of service yet run small organisations. A great blend."
“I've relied on Bellevue's HR Legal advice and support for many years now, and above all others have found the team to be extremely knowledgeable about the challenges faced by startup companies. They make working with them a pleasure and they have always added value through the work they do.”
Who instructs Bellevue Law?
Our clients include both long-established and start-up privately owned businesses, technology companies and challengers and private clients. We are also trusted to advise fellow law firms on sensitive employment matters and regularly advise clients based overseas on employment issues arising in their UK operations.
Our recent work includes preparing a suite of complex employment contracts for senior employees of a financial services start up, supporting a client in the technology sector through a major redundancy process and advising several clients on successful negotiated exits of team members ranging from junior employees to longstanding directors.
"I have used other "boutique" city firms whose service and advice does not come close to what I received with Bellevue Law."
"Bellevue Law has been our counsel since setting up our law firm. They have not only kept us safe, but gone one step further and offered comfort and re-assurance, at every step of the way. Their responsiveness can only be compared to the speed of a jet plane. Always friendly. Always professional. Always encouraging. Always perfect."